Residential Soil Moisture Sensor Rebate
How do you know how much to water? Many people guess. Sometimes they are good guessers. Sometimes they are not so good. Instead of guessing, there are two ways technology can help you: weather-based irrigation and soil moisture sensors. We rebate both items.
Weather-based irrigation controllers use a weather station that you place on your property to determine how long to run your sprinkler timer (irrigation controller), you can view more information here.
Soil moisture sensors are devices that you place in a representative part of your landscape to determine whether or not the zone needs additional water. The soil moisture sensor is placed in the soil at the root zone of the plant. You may need to run wiring from the soil moisture sensor to the common wire, valve or irrigation controller. Here is a short video showing the process. Please use the video for informational purposes, but not as instruction.
This soil moisture program can rebate up to $150 per residential account for equipment on eligible soil moisture sensors, which includes the sensors themselves, an interface to “talk” to your controller and any wiring to the sprinkler valve or controller. Please note that you cannot apply for both the weather-based irrigation controller and the soil moisture sensors.
List of Eligible Soil Moisture Sensors
- Baseline Water Tec S-100 with Baseline BiSensor
- Hunter Soil-Clik Moisture Sensor
- Rain Bird SMRT-Y08
- Toro P/N PSS-KIT with Xtra Smart Precision Soil Moisture Sensor
- Ugmo ProHome PH100WS
- Ugmo UG1000 S
We can rebate up to $150 per residential customer for soil moisture sensors. To apply you will need a photo of your water bill and sprinkler timer (face plate and internal wiring). Please read through the following rules:
- The applicant must receive water service from Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency (formerly the Santa Clarita Water Division, Valencia Water Company and Newhall County Water District), or Los Angeles County Waterworks District #36
- Rebate amount is limited to $150.00, or up to the cost of the soil moisture sensors, an interface and wiring. We cannot pay sales tax, shipping, labor and other charges.
- Eligible list of sensors rebated (see above)
- Rebates shall be awarded on a one-time basis per service address.
- The rebate does not apply to used products.
- To qualify, the applicant must provide a legible copy of the dated itemized receipt(s) for soil moisture sensors purchased after July 1, 2017, a copy of their most recent water bill, and photos of the irrigation controller face plate as well as internal wiring.
- Applications will be accepted up to 6 months after the purchase date.
- SCV Water reserves the right to conduct a site visit to confirm the soil moisture sensors are being used.
- Third party website (eBay, Amazon, etc.) purchases for qualifying products are eligible for rebate funds, provided that the product purchased can be verified as new and in its original packaging at the time of purchase and must be submitted with a receipt, invoice, packing slip, or confirmation identifying the item as new.
- An IRS Form W-9 and signed Release of Liability must be completed by the water account holder to receive a rebate. A check will be issued once the application has been accepted and can take up to 90 days to process.
Attention to renters: Participation requires written approval from property owner and/or property manager. Letter must be included with application. Once application is submitted an email will be sent out with the Release of Liability form and the W-9 for the customer to fill out and return.